Help & Support
Before contacting us for support, please try to make use of the resources on the web site to answer your questions. Some useful tools include:
- The Online Users Guide
- The Troubleshooting section of the manual.
- The PDF OCR X Screencast (3 minute video)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What version of OS X is required to run PDF OCR X on my Mac?
- The latest version of PDF OCR X (version 2.0) requires OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or higher. If you are running Leopard (10.5) you can still install and use PDF OCR X 1.9.36 which can be downloaded on our download page.
- What version of Windows is required to run PDF OCR X on my PC?
- PDF OCR X should run on any version of windows newer than (and including) Windows XP. This includes, but is no limited to, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, Server 2003, Server 2008.
- What is Optical Character Recognition?
- Optical character recognition, usually abbreviated to OCR, is the mechanical or electronic conversion of scanned images of handwritten, typewritten or printed text into machine-encoded text. It is widely used as a form of data entry from some sort of original paper data source, whether documents, sales receipts, mail, or any number of printed records. It is a common method of digitizing printed texts so that they can be electronically searched, stored more compactly, displayed on-line, and used in machine processes such as machine translation, text-to-speech and text mining. OCR is a field of research in pattern recognition, artificial intelligence and computer vision.
- What Input Formats Does PDF OCR X Support?
- PDF OCR X will accept image files of type GIF, JPG, PNG, BMP, and PICT. It also accepts PDF files as input.
- What format can PDF OCR X output to?
- PDF OCR X currently supports two output formats: Text and Searchable PDF.
- What Languages are Supported?
- PDF OCR X supports over 60 languages. See the full list of supported languages here.
- What configuration options are available, and what do they do?
- See user guide chapter on conversion settings and configuration options.
- Is PDF OCR X compatible with Mavericks (OS X 10.9)?
- Yes. Both the 1.9.x and 2.0.x lines of PDF OCR X run on Mavericks.
- Does PDF OCR X 2.0.x Require Java to be installed on my computer?
- No. PDF OCR X 2.0.x does not require Java to be installed. It is a self-contained application that only depends on libraries that come standard in your operating system.
If you have questions about PDF OCR X or issues for which you are having trouble finding a solution, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as soon as we can.